Sunday, December 7, 2014

Baptism

In my religion, Lutheran, we believe that baptism is a sacrament from which we receive grace (undeserved love and acceptance from God ). More often than not, you will see infants baptized during a worship service.


Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the   Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”  ~Matthew 28:19, 20 
I was baptized as a baby many years ago on this day. Since I was just a little youngster, my grandma, Mimi, created a tradition to celebrate my Baptismal Birthday every year. Not every family does this but I think it's a good way to remember You are one of God's children, On this day I get to pick the dinner, Taco Pie, and we have dessert, usually ice cream or brownies. Before dinner we relight the candle used during my baptism and read the Baptism Prayer. 

The prayer reads as follow, 
"____Baptism Name_____ , On this day in ___the year___ you were washed in the waters of baptism. Because of this event you never need to doubt that you are a beautiful and precious child of God. 

"God of mercy, we give you thanks for the promise you made to ____Name_____ on this day. Renew in ____Name_____ the gift of the Holy Spirit that he/she  will trust in you and you alone through all of life. We pray this in Jesus' name. Amen."

It's always a special day in our family. God's love is gracious and unconditional! I am so blessed to be a child of Christ!
My Candle!
On this day in history:

Pearl Harbor
               "...a date which will live in infamy..."
May remember all whose lives that were lost during World War II

"In the one spirit we were all baptized into one body." 1 Corinthians 12

No comments:

Post a Comment