Friday, January 23, 2015

The ABC's of Running

There is no other sport quite like running.  Whether it's in Cross Country, on the Track, or just for pleasure, all you really need is a beating heart and the ability to move your legs.  Running is for everyone; Any age, any speed, any distance.  For some, running is hard, but for others it's an effortless joy.  Once you find your rhythm you instantly fall into time with the rapture of your own music.  I love the sound of footsteps on the ground, the internal beating of my heart, and the rhythm of my ponytail brushing my back.  Not every runner feels the same way about running, but when you find what you're passionate about, the feeling is amazing!

Training


Training for running is not all fun and games.  There are days at practice when I wonder if I'm going to make it home.  Believe it or not, this is one of the best feelings because you know you pushed yourself and gave it your all.  Running takes dedication, and motivation. Many runners differ between the "Hard-Easy Concept" and the "Hard Every Second Concept". What's the difference?  The "Hard-Easy Concept" focuses on an equal amount of hard workout days with a mixture of easy/light workouts.  On the other hand, what I call the "Hard Every Second Concept" focuses on just that.  Basically you don't ever give your body any rest. This may seem ideal for professional athletes but it can be harmful for your body in the long run.  It also creates one to be more prone to injuries.  I for one believe if one isn't giving it their all every second, then why are you doing this?  Though I do take easy days easy and try not to over do it. But when the hard days arrive, I am using up every ounce of energy I have.  Workouts are of course the hardest days.  There are various workouts runners do to enhance their speed and stamina.  These may include, Fast waves, 1000 or 400 repeats, Tempo runs, Hills, etc..  For Distance Runners an easy day would most likely consist of a long run.  One must always remember that one has to work their way into training.  You can't just run a 400 and expect to be at the same level as a collegiate athlete.  Running (or anything you do) does not work that way! It takes patience and the will to do better. 

One of my favorite sayings, Pain is Temporary, Glory is Forever.


Nutrition


Did you eat your Wheaties today?  
Many people in our society have lost focus of what is right to eat. My Dad has always told us to have everything in moderation.  Athletes are always working and giving off energy.  In order for an athlete to perform well, they have to fuel the body.  Protein is very important for the athlete!  Proteins help give muscles the fuel you need when exercising. To stay healthy, one should maintain a source of balance in their diet.  This means eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, calcium and some carbohydrates!  After workouts the best recovery drink {believe it or not} is chocolate milk paired with an Oreo or two!  Junk food is bad for you but having a cookie every once in a while isn't going to hurt you! After all, Everything in Moderation!  
 
 

Lifestyle

 
Once one begins to exercise and eat right, your lifestyle will slowly begin to change.  I read in a recent study, it takes 21 days for something to become a habit.  There are some that believe sports are just a game you play for a few years before you enter the job force.  However Running, is forever!  For me, I view athletics as not just a sport but a lifestyle.  Running has slowly taken over my life.  Recently I've been asked, "Would you be able to give up running when you go to college?" And the answer is, "NO!" Running is my life and I honestly don't know what I would do without it.  Where ever I go to school next year, I am certain I will be on the Cross Country team.  I will do anything to get there that is for sure! 
 
 
Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God ~Hebrews 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment